Measurement of serum ferritin via a blood test gives a measure of the iron stores in the body;
• Normal levels of iron are important to health and in particular to making
o Anaemia is when haemoglobin levels are low.
• Serum ferritin levels can be low without anaemia;
• A low serum ferritin level is not unusual;
• There are many reasons why serum ferritin levels can be low:
o You will be advised if any further tests are required;
o In some patients there is no obvious reason why their levels are low.
• Low serum ferritin levels can make the mouth more prone to being sore: Some patients report that boosting their iron levels with iron supplements helps.
• Iron supplements can be prescribed or bought over the counter at a
chemists or the pharmacy section at one of the major supermarkets
• Iron supplements generally need to be taken on a regular basis for 3
o For most adults, the recommendation is to take ferrous fumarate or ferrous gluconate liquid 5ml up to three times a day either on an empty stomach or after food, as long as there are no unacceptable side effects.
One option is to start on a low dose then gradually increase the dose:
o Ferrous fumarate I gluconate liquid: 5ml once a day for one week;-if OK, then
o Ferrous fumarate / gluconate liquid: 5ml twice a day for one week;- if OK, then
o Ferrous fumarate I gluconate liquid: 5ml three times a day for 3 months.
Side Effects of Iron supplements:
• Common side effects include:
• If side effects are troublesome:
o Reduce the frequency to once or twice daily
Rechecking Serum Ferritin Level
Your serum ferritin level should be re-checked after a course of treatment to see how you have responded.
• This information sheet is to give you an initial overview of ferritin levels and Iron supplements;
o Nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, or constipation.
o Your stools will be dark